Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bend Kayak Sculpture

I happened to go by this new sculpture going up next to the Bend Parks and Rec Castle (I mean office) along the Deshutes River. I had heard about the artist doing this (can't find his/her name). I think Eddyline feels honored that the artist chose their boats to use and they do look pretty cool shooting into the sky. But, I also had some mixed feelings.

The Bend Parks and Rec office in town sits on the most prime real estate in town and this statue is on a roundabout on the way into their parking lot( which is used by many paddlers). The new office was constructed during the economic collapse and it appears that no expense was spared. The park around the building is nice and the geese are going to love the fresh surface. For me, the grace of a kayak or canoe is in its ability to help me escape our cement trappings. They are quiet crafts that allow us to foray into nature and then escape sans footprints. I kind of felt sorry for all these stationary boats that will never feel the water. I guess that is the point of Art...makes you think. And when I go around a roundabout, I'm usually thinking about absolutely nothing. Perhaps most people will pause a moment and wish they were on the water in a kayak instead of in their car. Right before they are rear ended by the car behind them looking into the sky!

If you have heard any of my soap box ramblings on a demo beach then you know that sunshine is the enemy of all of our Gear (including ourselves). I've seen what kayaks look like when stored outside full time for years on end.
Get down and take a look at this while it is still shiny and new. Perhaps I'm over thinking all of this!