Sunday, January 6, 2008

Angry Water




I just drove along the S. Chehalis and Chehalis River up in Lewis County WA on my way to pick up a kayak that I'm delivering to the Bay Area. I drove the backroads from the Cowlitz River all the way up to the Chehalis and was awestruck by the level of damage to farms, homes and roads. A few weeks ago there was certainly national news coverage of these floods because they extended all the way east to the I5 freeway causing closures. Now that the freeway is moving again the media coverage has dropped but the damage is still very present and real.

Just west of Rainbow Falls State Park on Hwy 6, I saw several large bridges that had been completely crushed and lying in the river. The river was still very angry around these bridges. The Chehalis was deeply muddied and carried debris into log jams and leftover bridge pilings. Several of the farms just south of this area were completely washed over leaving tractors, trailers and even barns just covered with mud.

I was able to speak to one of the local Fire Dept Commissioners. He said that 11 houses in the area had been condemned. One man about my age lost his entire house and the local community was going to help him build another one as FEMA was only able to kick in just over $3000. Although smaller than other natural disasters around the country recently, even this flood has changed many people's lives for a long time.



We are so lucky to have the abundant natural resources out here in the NW but with the recent storms in the NW and now down in CA we are reminded that we are living in and with this natural world. These rivers must be respected at all times even when we are able to play on them.
I was planning on paddling some today but after the sights of today's drive I just may let the river calm some before going out...


OK...I had to get out on the water...it was moving swiftly but how can you sit inside when you have this guy looking at you!

Bamboo is sitting with me in a 10' Emotion Edge Kayak. This is the best littlest boat for bringing a dog with you that I think is out there. It has a large cockpit and plenty of depth for hauling pets.