Sunday, March 9, 2008

Eddyline Merlin LT

Lightweight and sporty, the Merlin LT is one of my favorite boats for light tripping and play. At 13.5’ and 42 lbs, the LT is easily transported from the water by one hand as you would carry a suitcase! I especially like that the LT will fit into my truck camper for stealth boat transportation when I want to be sure no one will take the kayak from my vehicle when I’m hiking instead of paddling.

The low profile is unaffected by wind and I find it easy to control in even the roughest wind. The cockpit placement is slightly back of center which helps drive the stern deeper into the water. A lot of boats under high winds have a tendency to have their sterns pushed down wind causing the kayak to turn into wind. With slightly more stern in the water the LT will not be pushed off course and the boat had no problem tracking. In following seas, the seat placement gives easy paddle reach to the stern for draws and prys. The relatively short LT can be “teeter-tottered” to weight the bow or stern by leaning forward or back. One fun exercise on a windy day is to lean forward in the boat so the stern slides downwind and then lean back to have the bow blow down wind. You can literally go in circles without paddling!

At 6’ and 170 lbs I fit quite snug in the Merlin LT. I have size 10 feet and have to be careful what footwear I use with the LT so that I can still move my feet around. The LT is a favorite for smaller paddlers because the deck is low enough to allow for an efficient stroke. The paddled seat is comfortable. Eddyline offers two seat back options either a back band which is great for movement or a backrest which offers more support and height. If you are wondering weather the LT is for you, I recommend that you pay the most attention to the thigh brace region. The low deck can make for a nice fit but if you have Lance Armstrong legs you might not be comfortable.

The LT will reward beginners as they improve and will satisfy advanced paddlers looking for a sporty ride.

The LT has front and rear bulkheads so there is not a problem taking it into bigger waters where you might want flotation. Less weight and less windage make for great control in rough water and on rivers. When “less is more” the LT is the boat I grab.