Monday, March 10, 2008

Moonlight Basin/Big Sky


Montana has been tough on me over the years. The weather can come up in a hurry and I seem to always get my share of wind and cold when I visit. This week on my way to Emotion Kayaks and Bending Branches in Wisconsin I was able to spend a couple of days at the new largest ski resort in the US--Big Sky/Moonlight Basin. Step aside Vail...this place kicks your overpriced behind!

Years ago I had been to Big Sky with more typical Montana weather but this time we got fresh snow and then blue skies to follow it up. Just to the North of Big Sky, linked by several runs and lifts, lies the new Moonlight Basin Resort. Moonlight offers good cruising down low and the advanced terrain of the Headwaters above it. The hike to the chutes of the Headwaters will get your heart pumping and the various chutes and cliffs that you can drop into are the real deal. You can also drop into the chutes on the other side of the Headwaters that lead you to the Lone Peak Tram on Big Sky. The Sky is the limit on top of Lone Peak. If you have the skills and equipment you can hike right off the back side of Lone Peak. Just looking down there was enough for me!

The groomers off the Ram Charger lift at Big Sky are a ton of fun and big enough to lay down some high speed super carves. We put our name in at the lodge at the top for lunch and then took a run instead of waiting in line. By the time we got back to the top our table was ready. We were staying at Moonlight so we took a nice cruise home across all 2 resorts. Moonlight is just getting started but I really enjoyed the lack of lift lines and attitude.

The one down side is night life. Locals were adamant that they get some good shows but I think you go to Big Sky/Moonlight for the terrain and beauty of the Northern Rockies. After a day of riding there I didn't need to go any further than the hot tub.